Connect. Collaborate. Create.
The Arts Collective program fosters a collaborative approach to creative listening, making, and problem solving within Calvin’s community of arts-invested learners. The program values cross-disciplinary perspectives, diverse ways of knowing, and creative production that brings restoration and renewal.
In your first and second year as an Arts Collective member, you will explore your calling as a creative through shared courses, arts activities, and place-based learning and travel. Arts Collective members represent a variety of backgrounds and academic disciplines: you don’t have to be planning to major in the arts (visual, performing, or written) to be considered for the Arts Collective!
As an Arts Collective cohort member, you will:
- Explore topics such as arts and vocation, creative restoration, visual culture, place-based creativity, cross-disciplinary collaboration, and leadership in the arts.
- Collaborate with other members of your cohort to make, perform, and exhibit work that reflects upon your curiosities, questions, and current issues.
- Travel to arts destinations in the US: with Arts Collective cohort mates and faculty, you’ll explore new cities as you take a place-based approach to creativity.
- Connect with the vibrant arts scene at Calvin and in Grand Rapids. Opportunities include field trips, films, performances, exhibitions, open studio nights, and cohort gatherings.
Here is a look at the first two years:
A. Arts Collective cohort courses
note : each course fulfills Calvin core (general education) requirements, and each course includes one domestic trip (2-5 days) led by the course instructor.
- Fall: Arts Collective Community and Commitments (Core 100, 3 credit hours)
Core 100 fall weekend trip
- Spring: Arts Collective Visual Culture (Art 153, 3 credit hours)
Visual Culture trip
- Fall: Arts Collective core arts course (TBD, 3 credit hours)
English 101 fall weekend trip
- Spring: Arts Collective cross-disciplinary core arts course (TBD, 3 credit hours)
Arts exploratory trip
B. Additional activities
In addition to enrolling in these 4 core Arts Collective courses, cohort members are also required to participate in the following activities within their first 2 years:
- 4 Arts Collective local field trips (area museums, music, dance, & theatre performances, festivals, etc.)
- 4 Arts Collective on-campus studio nights/workshops
- 4 on-campus arts events (film screenings, concerts, etc.)
- Membership in 1 arts-based student organization or ensemble for at least 2 semesters (eg: Calvin Theatre Company, Chimes, Dialogue, Dance Guild, Film Arts Committee, Improv, Visual Arts Guild, any choir or music ensemble, or another approved student org)
C. Optional trips/opportunities
During their 3rd and 4th years, former Arts Collective members are invited to join select Arts Collective domestic trips and field trips on a first-come, first-served basis. Former Arts Collective members are invited to all open studio nights and on-campus Arts Collective events.
- You must be admitted to Calvin by December 15, 2021.
- High school seniors planning to enter Calvin University in fall 2022.
- Students who wish to participate in arts activities while at Calvin or intend to study in arts-related academic programs such as art, creative writing, graphic design, film and media, and music. You only need to indicate an interest in the arts on your application to be considered for the program.
If you wish to get involved with the Arts Collective program at Calvin University, you will need to do two things:
1) Express your interest
If you want more details about this program, please submit the short form below. NOTE: Applications for fall 2022 are closed; if you are starting Calvin after the fall of 2022, please send us your information and we'll invite you to apply when the application is open to you!
Note: On this form, you may also choose other special programs for first-year students for which you’d like to be considered.
2) Apply to Calvin
Complete Calvin’s application early in order to be admitted by December 15. (Once you submit your application, there are a few additional steps you may need to take before you’re admitted to Calvin.) Without your application, you will not be considered for this program.