Participate in ROTC while studying at Calvin

Calvin College is an affiliate of the Army ROTC program at Western Michigan University (Grand Rapids branch). You can participate in this program through WMU while studying at Calvin. Military science courses are held at WMU's local campus (one block south of Calvin) and regular training is held at Calvin's athletic facilities.


  • Competitive academic scholarships for tuition, room and board, and books are available for students with qualifying GPAs and test scores.
  • Receive a monthly living stipend while you're in college. 
  • Earn your bachelor's degree while preparing for a career in the U.S. Army.

How it works

As a Cadet in the Bronco Battalion, you will complete your normal degree requirements at Calvin while taking military science and leadership courses at Western Michigan University's Grand Rapids campus. You will take 1-3 credit hours per semester at WMU and participate in physical training three days per week with other Calvin ROTC Cadets.

Once you successfully complete your degree and all Cadet requirements, you will be commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army. This commission may include a commitment to serve up to eight years in the U.S. Army. See more detailed information about expectations.

    How to apply

    1. For the scholarship program, submit an application to the ROTC program through the U.S. Army between January of your junior year of high school and December of your senior year of high school. The application process includes submitting test scores, your high school transcript, completing an interview, and taking a physical fitness test. Apply now at the U.S. Army.
    2. If you aren't interested in the ROTC scholarship program and would simply like to apply for the ROTC program, contact Brett Johnson.
    3. Apply to Calvin College and indicate interest in the ROTC program on your application.
    4. Apply to Western Michigan as a guest student to take your ROTC courses there.


    The ROTC program offers academic scholarships to qualifying students. These scholarships are competitive and require a commitment to serve in the U.S. Army after college graduation.

    If you want to receive a ROTC scholarship to cover your college expenses, you must apply before Dec. 31 of your senior year of high school.

    Learn more about how to apply for these scholarships

    Learn more


    Mr. Billy Clayton
    Western Michigan University
    Department of Military Science and Leadership
    (269) 387-8122